Friday, January 18, 2013

2: A Mutiny in Time

A Mutiny in Time, by James Dashner
new: 6th Jan

I am eighteen years old and I love Scholastic's new(ish) line of interactive novels. I've been a fan since Maze of Bones (39 Clues) in 2008, and my interest hasn't really waned through the intervening years. They're really well-written, fast paced, interesting stories, and the online component has improved a LOT since the early days. That being said, these books are TOO SHORT. (Because I am 6-10 years older than the target age.)

I loooooove that this is time-travel, and set in an alternate universe, although SERIOUSLY get me a map already, as well as a timeline, because I want to know everything that's different! I was very distracted in the beginning as I was trying to figure out HOW things were different. I suppose the average eight-year-old wouldn't be... but I am VERY interested in learning more about this world.

I do like the efforts taken to make sure that the Infinity Ring series is a very different series from 39 Clues, because if it were a carbon copy, I wouldn't want to read it.Additionally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE how quickly these books come out. Can we have something like this for teenagers, only longer, with more ROOOMANCE? Please. I would buy it!

I didn't buy Mutiny. I borrowed it from my local library. And yet I can still fully participate in the online game! You can't do that with 39 Clues.

(Also, I am so excited for the new fantasy series like this. Maggie Stiefvater MG yay!)

I would recommend this book for kids in its target range, people who like action books, people who like long series that don't take forever to get published, people who like the time travel aspect of Doctor Who, people who like secret societies duking it out around an unsuspecting public.

No comments:

Post a Comment