Monday, January 14, 2013

1: Foundation

Foundation, by Isaac Asimov.
new: 2nd Jan 2013

My da and tio have been trying to get me to read Asimov since I was eleven and obsessed with Piers Anthony. I never listened to them, because I hate being told what to do. However, over break I was bored and knew that Asimov is basically the god of sci-fi, so I pulled it off the shelf.

I liked it. I didn't love it. I'm glad I own a copy of the whole series (minus Forward the Foundation) though, since I'm pretty sure I'll make my way through the rest of them at some point.

The set-up was interesting, and I really appreciated that it was more like three connected short stories than it really was one novel with one main character. This made it a lot easier to pick up and read whenever I had the time, and put it back down again when I had to go do something.

It's clearly an Epic, which I don't read enough of, so it was nice to dip my toe into that side of SFF again. And it was really easy to read in terms of diction and syntax. 

I would recommend this to any sci-fi fan, as well as to people who like epic stories that span generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment