Monday, September 17, 2012

Trying to Find My Blogging Style

Some people -- some wonderfully blessed people -- are full of good ideas.
 They're the first person you go to when spitballing for an event, when trying
 to come up with a good essay hook, when you have no idea what to buy for
 your new closet. My sister is one of these people (when she's in a good mood).

I, however, am not really one of these lucky few. I am so much better at
adapting existing ideas than I am creating new ones. (This, I think, is my main
failing when trying to finish a story.)

When it comes to blogging, this problem of mine is why I don't post as often as
I'd like. I would love to be the kind of blogger whose every post isn't about
why she sucks at blogging, but that appears to be what I'm doing. I try to come
up with clever little stories, but they usually end up falling flat. I've tried
imitating the other bloggers I follow, but that format obviously isn't working
for me. I have to figure out my own way of blogging, but it needs to be a way that doesn't just
consist of a post every three weeks labelled with the tag "why I sometimes suck
at blogging".

I had this weird learning curve when I joined twitter last year, too. For a
while, I tried overly hard to be witty and retweetable. That made being on
twitter not too much fun. (Also, it meant I didn't have a lot of followers or people who would talk to me.) When I stopped trying to be Maureen Johnson, and just
started being me, twitter became more fun for me. It also meant I started
posting a lot... Which, depending on who you ask, may not be a good thing. But
more posts here WOULD be a good thing, right?

Let's hope.

ETA: Sorry for the wonky formatting. Not sure why that happened...?

No comments:

Post a Comment