Monday, September 24, 2012

Five Things I Should Already Know, But Don't

1.How to properly manage my time. Basically this boils down to prioritising. I know 
logically what I should be doing (my math homework) instead of what I am doing 
(reading or messing about online) but I can't seem to make myself do the right 
thing. All it does is cause me more pain in the long run. Have I learned this 
over the nearly thirteen years I've been in school? Logically, yes. 
Realistically, no. 

2. How to focus and tune out distractions. My school gave all the students their 
own laptop computers this year, and although it seems like a fantastic tool (according 
to administrators) it has been a pain in the ass for my teachers to navigate. It's an 
endless source of distraction for me, even when I just have my book website up. 
Yes, I am distracted that easily! I get distracted STARING at my screensaver. 
 
3.  How to be nice. Isn't this something everyone's supposed to learn in kindergarten?
Obviously I was absent that day or something, because I have a major meanness
problem. Most of the time, I'm mean whenI'm attempting to be funny. (Note to self: 
stop trying to be funny.)  I just don't know where to draw the line. This inability to judge
how polite my statements are is wreaking havoc in my friend group and in my relationships
with my family members.  
 
4. How to understand when someone is kidding. Closely related to my "being mean 
instead of funny" problem. I seriously cannot take a joke. If someone tries to kid with
me, I usually end up blankly and awkwardly staring at them until one of us looks away.
Also, I laugh at things that aren't meant to be funny, and don't laugh at anything my supposedly
"hilarious" friend says. 

5. How to do something I don't want to do. (Especially in a timely manner.) I waffled 
over whether or not this should be lumped in with numbers 1 and 2, but I ultimately decided
that this is a totally separate issue. If I don't want to do something, I don't do it. It doesn't matter
 if it's a homework assignment or practicing a cello piece for composition, if I don't want to do it,
 it doesn't get done. My mom constantly tells me that it is this fault that is my fatal one. She says 
that I'll never survive in the real world if I only do what I want to do. My argument back is that all 
I have to do is figure out my own intrinsic motivation in order to do unwanted things. But I know 
that that is pretty close to being a lost cause. The sooner I figure this one out, the better.
 
I'm almost eighteen, and I still have a lot of life ahead of me in which to
learn these things. But at the same time, it's very frustrating that I don't 
already know them. I'm hoping that by admitting to myself that I have
a problem, I'm on my way to solving it.  

ETA: This formatting is KILLING me. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix it?

No comments:

Post a Comment