Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini



Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini


It didn't take me very long to figure out that I would like this book. First of all, the cover is GORGEOUS, and I think it fits the tone and location of the book rather well. Second, Kiersten White had a blurb on it, and since I really liked Paranormalcy, I thought I would probably like Starcrossed.

And I did! The characterisation is what really grabbed me. I felt like each character was a real person, fully believable despite their... abilities. The setting (Nantucket) really felt like a character of its own, and all of the descriptions -- of everything -- were perfectly spot on and I could close my eyes and feel like Helen must have felt at that moment in the story.

I loved loved loved the flying bits. I also really enjoyed challenging my poor summer-ified brain to figure out what famous mythological heroes the characters were named after, and Creon stumped me until five minutes after I finished the book (way past my bedtime) and was trying to fall asleep. And to think, that was a name we actually learned in school. Hm...

My only issue was, I never quite untangled the Delos family tree. I understand that Castor is married to Noel, and they're the parents of Luke and Cassandra, but I really struggled as to how Pandora fit in. I've also heard a lot of comparisons to Twilight, but honestly, they aren't even in the same ballpark. The relationship between Helen and Lucas felt realistic, and not at all co-dependent or obsessive.

Even though there have been a lot of re-done myths lately, Starcrossed is really special. The writing style was like Maggie Stiefvater crossed with Cassandra Clare with a sprinkling of Stephanie Perkins. I am very excited for the sequel, even if I do have to wait nearly a year for it. If it's anywhere near as good as Starcrossed, it will be worth the wait.

Josephine Angelini's blog, Facebook, twitter, and website.

1 comment: