Saturday, July 09, 2011

Review: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Format: ARC won at the San Francisco this is teen event

Release date (hardcover): Tuesday, 12th July, 2011

Summary from Goodreads:  
then.
When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their love moved from a curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.
now.
That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.
forever.
Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment - a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.

My thoughts: I have tried to write this review at least four times now, and everything I come up with doesn't come anywhere close to describing the sheer awesomeness of this book. 

Forever was everything I wanted in the conclusion to the Wolves of Mercy Falls, and it had scenes and descriptions and plot events that I never even knew I wanted. For example, Isabel doesn't like Tuesdays. Cole turns into a mad scientist. And so so many other things, including a wonderful scene with the Northern Lights that Maggie said was based on something that she did as a child.

You will cry while reading this book. I would advise having tissues with you for at least the last half. I cried three times in long stretches, and nearly cried a few more. But then, I laughed out loud, startling my family, more than a dozen times (and managed to stifle my laughter on five other occasions).

I feel as if I'm not doing the book justice at all, but trust me when I say it's awesome. And worth the wait, and heartbreaking, and exhilarating, and just plain beautiful. Basically, if you've read Shiver and Linger, you'll love Forever even more. If you aren't already planning to buy this book on the day it comes out, you need to rethink that.
 
Also, a moment (narrated by Sam) that I found particularly funny out-of-context, and wanted to share with anyone desperate for small tidbits: "In my pocket."
Cole looked down.
"I'm not wearing my pants anymore," I said.
Cole looked at the step. "No, you aren't."




Find Maggie Stiefvater on her blog, Facebook, Goodreads, twitter and website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment